Gunmen suspected to be Fulani herdsmen wreaking havoc in Nigeria’s middle belt have again struck in Plateau state.
The gunmen have again left a trail of sorrow, tears and death in the wake of their fresh attack on Farinkasa Kerana and Sabon Gari communities in Mangu Local Government Area of the State.
Twelve persons were reportedly killed in the latest onslaught.
A despondent local, Mathew Habila, told newsmen on Sunday that the victims were killed in their houses on Saturday night
He lamented that the gunmen also set many houses on fire leaving the two communities deserted.
Habila said ” We have our people killed again in another attack last night. This time,12 People were killed with several others injured, and many houses were burned by Fulani Militia at Farinkasa Kerana and Sabon gari communities in Mangu Districts of Mangu Local government.
“The incidents happened at about 10:30 pm 08/07/2023”
Meanwhile, kinsmen of Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau state under the aegis of the Mwaghavul Development Association said the Miyeti Allah Cattle breeders association is behind the killings and attacks in the state.
The urged the federal government to declare the the association a terrorist organisation.
The National President of MDA, Chief Joseph Gwankat, spoke at a press conference in Jos shortly before the latest attacks,
He disclosed that since April 2023, members of MACBAN had attacked 53 communities and killed 204 persons in Mangu LGA, where the state Governor hails from.
He said, “It is in the public domain that MACBAN has been hiring foreign mercenaries to attack communities, including ours.
“Our villages have been deserted due to these attacks and have become grazing fields for the Fulani herders. So far, a total of 204 of our people have been killed in 53 attacks carried out by them
“We, therefore, strongly suggest that the Federal Government should declare MACBAN a terrorist organisation because of the heinous crimes that its members are perpetrating in various parts of Nigeria.
“We urge the Government to take full responsibility for educating children below the age of 10 who have lost both parents as a result of the attacks, while arrangements are made for the SS3 students whose WAEC Exams were disrupted as a result of these attacks”