Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani has announced reduced current fees for all state-owned tertiary institutions.
The governor announced during a press conference at Government House in Kaduna.
According to Sani’s Chief Press Secretary, Muhammad Lawal Shehu, the downgrade was part of Sani’s commitment to fulfilling his campaign promises to the people of Kaduna.
During the campaign and after taking office on May 29, 2023, he promised to run a people-centred, all-inclusive administration that would not leave any part of Kaduna State behind.
He stated that the decision was made in response to public outrage over the current fees charged by tertiary institutions in the state and the impact on school enrollment and retention.
He directed heads of Tertiary Institutions to gather relevant information about the existing fee structure in state-owned tertiary institutions in collaboration with the Ministry of Education.
This downward review of the existing fees structure aligns with Kaduna state government commitment to providing relief to counter the effect of the general rising cost of living in the polity, especially in the aftermath of the recent petroleum subsidy removal in Nigeria.
The welfare of the people remains the foremost priority of this administration, and the Kaduna State Government will continue to take all necessary measures to ensure access to free and quality education for every child in Kaduna State from primary to secondary school.
We will expand access to higher education, enhance teachers’ welfare and teaching standards, improve school infrastructure, cultivate ICT competence in our students from the basic education level, and intensify investments, he said.
He mentioned that the fee reductions are as follows:
- Kaduna State University: Current Fee – N150,000, New Fee – N105,000,
- Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic: Current Fee – N100,000, New Fee – N50,000,
- College of Education, Gidan Waya: Current Fee – N75,000, New Fee – N37,500
- Shehu Idris College of Health Sciences & Technology, Makarfi:
- HND Courses: Current Fee – N100,000, New Fee – N70,000
- ND Courses: Current Fee – N75,000, New Fee – N52,000
- Kaduna State College of Nursing: Current Fee – N100,000, New Fee – N70,000