On Monday, Caleb Mutfwang, the governor of Plateau State, announced that at least fifty individuals had been killed in multiple towns inside the Mangu and Bokkos Local Government Areas of the state by as-yet-unidentified gunmen.
The governor made this announcement to soldiers participating in Operation Safe Haven in Mangu during a luncheon hosted by Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja, Chief of Army Staff.
Mutfwang conveyed his dismay at the recent wave of gunman attacks and their wanton devastation of farmlands and other property.
He pledged to enact strict policies to address state insecurity.
”From intelligence reports available to me, at least 50 persons have been killed in Mangu and Bokkos in the last 48 hours.
”This is unacceptable. Enough is enough. These stupid, senseless, and unprovoked acts must stop.
”However, no amount of attacks will break the spirit of Plateau people, we remain resolute and determined to progress as a people,” he said.
The governor thanked the troops for their unrelenting efforts in the fight against insecurity in the state and promised to support the military and other security agencies to secure the state.
”That way, we will prevent some hoodlums, who usually hide under the attacks, from perpetrating other crimes, such as cattle rustling, armed robbery, kidnapping for ransom, and other crimes.
”We will also strengthen other security agencies to complement the efforts of the military in tackling insecurity in the state,” the governor said.
In a speech, the Commander of OPSH, Maj.-Gen. Abdusalam Abubakar said his troops had responded to the attacks.
Abubakar said, “In the last 48 hours, we have responded to 36 distress calls from different locations simultaneously.
”As we speak, some of our men are in hospital due to the injuries sustained in attacks.
”But we are committed to ensuring that we put a stop to all criminal activities in Plateau,” he said.